Established in 1991 in London, RSL Awards Limited (formerly known as Rock School Limited) is a leading International Music and Performance Arts exams board. We operate in over 40 countries around the world organising, adjudicating and certificating 60,000 music and performing arts exams annually. These are supported by over 100 books in print, both online and in hardcopy.
RSL entered the mainland of China since 2015, and China became RSL’s largest overseas market from 2017. Our candidates in China are from over 300 cities.
We are now open to recruit international examiners who are based outside of the UK and to examine Rockschool candidates in the country where the examiner applicants are currently located.
RSL Examiners ensure that our qualifications are assessed professionally, reliably and consistently in accordance with our high standards and external regulatory requirements.
As an examiner you will exhibit a broad range of skills, bringing a multifaceted musical background focusing on popular music performance, and a good understanding of assessment.
- an accomplished music practitioner, with recent experience of teaching contemporary/popular music and/or relevant industry experience
- a qualification in music at Level 4 or above or equivalent industry experience
- confidence in assessing performance in a range of instrumental / vocal disciplines using prescribed criteria
- articulate and confident in the use of English, with well-developed written literacy skills, and an instinctive verbal fluency at a technical level
- ability to represent RSL to customers and clients with professionalism and confidence
- excellent interpersonal skills
- self-reliant, flexible, organised, calm under pressure, and able to manage time efficiently
- integrity and concern for high academic standards
- able to communicate in a timely manner; access to and use of email and mobile phone
- availability and willingness to undertake all relevant training
- available to work both domestically and internationally (a minimum of 20 days per year is expected, preferably including blocks of time) and travel frequently
- available to work weekdays, weekends and during school / educational holidays
- highly confident, instinctively fluent, and literate in the use of IT and audio technology; able to learn and use a range of systems and applications, particularly for data capture and file transfer purposes
- access to own portable devices/tech for examining purposes including, at a minimum, laptop and basic audio equipment
- formal teaching qualification
- experience of assessing music
- extensive performance experience, preferably in a professional context
- a good working knowledge of multiple instruments in RSL’s instrument range
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit:
- an up-to-date CV
- a covering letter (no more than one side of A4) explaining your suitability for the role
- details of two professional referees
Applicants must disclose any reasons why:
- they are unable to work with young people
- they are unable to work for any significant period of time in the next 15 months
Please submit your application via email to Laura Hall, Examiner Panel Co-ordinator LauraHall@rslawards.com (recommended email subject: International Examiner Application).
All successful applicants will be required to undergo the equivalent of a DBS check where available in their country of residence.
RSL Examiners are self-employed contractors and are permitted to undertake other work while working for RSL; however, they will be required to declare any outside role that may cause a conflict of interest.