As the UK-China relationship strengthens, evolves and becomes more balanced, the Food and Drink sector is becoming an ever more important part of CBBC’s work. As a result we are now seeking a dynamic and experienced Assistant Director level Business Advisor to support our Food and Drink sector work, reporting to the Director for Food and Drink, and working closely with the Director for Retail sector. This role is a client facing role requiring substantial current or recent China business experience, keeping a tight connection with the sector Director in the UK and working closely with local CBBC offices as well as a range of UK and Chinese companies in the sector, such as brand owners, retailers, distributors, e-commerce operators and relevant service providers. The post holder will be advising and assisting companies to establish and grow their business, as well as supporting insightful and original industry research. They will engage with Chinese businesses and organisations as well as some of the UK’s leading companies within the sector and use their network to position CBBC as a leading force in the Food and Drink space. They will support UK companies to help target niche areas where they can develop their business as well as the broader CBBC sector agenda. Finally they will be responsible for delivery of sector based services to demanding clients including the UK and Chinese Government and major companies, and as such will need significant resilience, and commitment to drive service quality and meet client expectations.
The post-holder should have strong expertise in the sector including subsectors of food service, food and drink e-commerce, food and drink distribution and other relevant areas such as GB standards, food and drink advertising and logistics.
As a Business Adviser the role includes:
- Delivery of research, advisory, events and other CBBC services to demanding clients, and meeting service excellence targets
- Servicing and care of existing client relationships, and acquisition of new clients and members
- Providing one-to-one consultation with businesses of all sizes and experience
- Monitoring and reporting of new policies, regulations, trends, and initiatives that can shape CBBC Food and Drink sector activities, programme content and insight
- Supporting insightful and original research on UK-China business in the sector
- Providing guidance on matters of policy and market access for UK firms in their engagement in the Chinese market
- Coordinating member-driven activities and initiatives, including sector forums and events
- Support growth of CBBC revenue streams including membership, and business services
- Identify export opportunities for UK companies
- Public speaking at events and seminars in China
- Representing CBBC in the media
- Developing, enhancing and maintaining relationships with key partners and stakeholders, including DIT, FCO, Chinese Government departments, trade associations and other business organisations
Specific requirements for the role are as follows:
- Substantial and recent China business experience related to the sector
- Demonstrable understanding of the concerns of and issues faced by UK businesses when trading with and investing in China
- The ability to deal at senior levels to deliver sound business solutions to widely differing types of company
- Strong business relationships with Chinese and international firms in your field
- Strong analytical and advisory skills
- Passion for business development and excellent client facing skills
- Self-motivated, with a flexible and entrepreneurial style of working
- Resilience, and commitment to service excellence
- Fluent English essential, Chinese language desirable
Based in Shanghai or Beijing, the job holder will report to the Director for Food and Drink Sector, and work closely with the Director for Retail, as well as food and drink sector teams in UK and China to develop and deliver on a food and drink strategy for CBBC.
Interested candidates are invited to send a letter explaining how your personality and experience meet our requirements together with detailed CV in both English and Chinese, an indication of your current salary and expected salary to the following email address: CBA2017@cbbc.org.cn.
We regret that only short listed candidates will be notified and that applicants who fail to provide a covering letter will not be considered.
The closing date for applications is 1st June 2017.
Telephone enquiries and personal visits will NOT be accepted.
China Britain Business Council is the leading organisation helping companies to work together in China, the UK and third markets around the world. With 60 years of experience, experts in 11 UK offices and 15 Chinese locations, and a diverse 1,000-strong membership, we operate alongside the British Chamber of Commerce in China to support companies of all sizes and sectors from multinationals to SMEs. As the partner of choice for British companies working with China, CBBC delivers a range of events, tailored research and consultative services. We cooperate closely with government to highlight export opportunities for UK companies and investment opportunities for Chinese organisations, and work closely with a range of partners across the UK and China, including the UK Department for International Trade (formerly UKTI). For more information about us, please click HERE to visit our website.