As the UK-China relationship strengthens, evolves and becomes more balanced, the Innovation, technology, S&T and Entrepreneurship agenda is becoming an ever more important part of CBBC’s work. As a result we are now seeking a dynamic and experienced Assistant Director level Business Advisor to lead our Innovation and Technology work. This role is a client facing role requiring substantial recent China business experience, keeping a tight connection with the sector counterpart in the UK and working closely with local CBBC offices as well as a range of UK and Chinese institutions in the innovation, technology, business and education collaboration space. The role will entail advising and assisting companies to establish and grow their business, as well as writing insightful and original industry research. The role will engage at a high level with Chinese businesses and organisations as well as some of the UK’s largest companies within the sector and use their network to position CBBC as a thought leader in the Innovation space. This role will support UK companies to help target niche areas where they can develop their business as well as the broader CBBC innovation and technology agenda. The post-holder should have strong expertise in Chinese Innovation and technology and relevant experience of working in the Chinese innovation and technology ecosystem, including corporate innovation, startup companies, research and development, technology or education sector innovation experience, and working with Chinese Government and other innovation funding organisations. This role will also lead CBBC’s research and other activity supporting the Innovation agenda, including pursuing paid research projects in the Innovation space.
As a Business Adviser the role includes:
- Delivery of research, advisory, events and other CBBC services to demanding clients, and meeting service excellence targets
- Servicing and care of existing client relationships, and acquisition of new clients and members
- Providing one-to-one consultation with businesses of all sizes and experience
- Monitoring and reporting of new policies, regulations, trends, and initiatives that can shape CBBC Innovation and Technology sector activities, programme content and insight
- Writing insightful and original research on UK-China business in the sector
- Providing guidance on matters of policy and market access for UK firms in their engagement in the Chinese market
- Coordinating member-driven activities and initiatives, including sector forums and events
- Act as a relationship manager with DIT within the sector and deliver initiatives designed to assist UK trade growth across China
- Support growth of CBBC revenue streams including membership, and business services
- Identify export opportunities for UK companies
- Public speaking at events and seminars in China
- Representing CBBC in the media
- Developing, enhancing and maintaining relationships with key partners and stakeholders, including DIT, FCO, MOST, MIIT, CAS Holdings, NDRC, FCO trade associations and other business organisations.
Specific requirements for the role are as follows:
- Substantial and recent China business experience related to the innovation and tech sector
- Demonstrable understanding of the concerns of and issues faced by UK businesses when trading with and investing in China
- The ability to deal at senior levels to deliver sound business solutions to widely differing types of company
- Ability to provide in-depth understanding of how these industry sectors operate in China and write original and insightful research
- Strong business relationships with Chinese and international firms in your field
- Strong analytical and advisory skills
- Passion for business development and excellent client facing skills
- Self-motivated, with a flexible and entrepreneurial style of working
- Resilience, and commitment to service excellence
- Fluent Chinese and English language skills
Based in Shanghai or Beijing, the job holder will report to a Sector Director of CBBC and will work closely with the innovation, education, and technology teams in China and UK.
Interested candidates are invited to send a letter explaining how your personality and experience meet our requirements together with detailed CV in both English and Chinese, an indication of your current salary and expected salary to the following email address: CBA2017@cbbc.org.cn
We regret that only short listed candidates will be notified and that applicants who fail to provide a covering letter will not be considered.
The closing date for applications is 1st June 2017.
Telephone enquiries and personal visits will NOT be accepted.
China Britain Business Council is the leading organisation helping companies to work together in China, the UK and third markets around the world. With 60 years of experience, experts in 11 UK offices and 15 Chinese locations, and a diverse 1,000-strong membership, we operate alongside the British Chamber of Commerce in China to support companies of all sizes and sectors from multinationals to SMEs. As the partner of choice for British companies working with China, CBBC delivers a range of events, tailored research and consultative services. We cooperate closely with government to highlight export opportunities for UK companies and investment opportunities for Chinese organisations, and work closely with a range of partners across the UK and China, including the UK Department for International Trade (formerly UKTI). For more information about us, please click HERE to visit our website.