China-Britain Business Council
Package: Competitive salary range between RMB 16, 000 – RMB 18, 000, based on matched qualification and experiences
China-Britain Business Council is the leading organisation helping companies to work together in China, the UK and third markets around the world. With over 60 years of experience, experts across the UK and China, and a diverse membership of 1,000 companies, we support companies of all sizes and sectors from multinationals to SMEs.
As the partner of choice for British companies working with China, CBBC delivers a range of events, tailored research and consultative services. We cooperate closely with government to highlight export opportunities for UK companies and investment opportunities for Chinese organisations, and work closely with a range of partners across the UK and China, including the UK Department for International Trade (formerly UKTI).
For more information about us, please visit our website at http://www.cbbc.org .
The retail and consumer sectors have boomed in China over the past decade with a growing number of British companies now active in the market or seeking opportunities to explore its potential. We work with a range of exciting British brands to support them with new market entry, expansion of their sales through different mediums from off-line retail to online e-commerce platforms and support for promoting their brands through events, social media. This newly established position will play an important role in enabling us to achieve our strategic objectives for the consumer industries in China and ultimately develop commercial ties between both nations.
What are we looking for:
We are seeking an individual who is passionate about the retail sector, consumer trends and UK-China trade. This individual will be comfortable with leading a small team and eager to work with a broad range of companies, including UK fashion and consumer brands, food and drink companies and creative clients who are seeking to grow sales in the Chinese consumer sector. We are looking for an entrepreneurially-minded self-starter who can identify new commercial opportunities both for CBBC as an organisation as well as the companies that we are proud to represent and serve.
The individual will be familiar with the environment for foreign consumer companies and have a strong grasp of the practical side of doing business in China. They will also be a strong communicator who is comfortable handling client relationships.
The retail and consumer team in Shanghai covers three core areas (1) Retail and E-commerce, (2) Food and Drink, (3) Creative Industries (film, TV, games, publishing). This role will report in to CBBC’s Director for Retail and E-Commerce based in Beijing. The job-holder will also work closely with consumer sector leads from UK.
As Assistant Director of CBBC’s Shanghai Retail and Consumer Team the successful candidate will:
- Lead CBBC’s retail and consumer team (4x staff) in Shanghai to ensure the successful delivery of the annual business plan to meet all targets and expectations set by senior management
- Contribute to CBBC’s wider strategy for the retail and consumer sectors and become a key member of the wider team
- Build and maintain relationships with key businesses and organisations in Shanghai including relevant departments of the British and Chinese Government, British and Chinese consumer-related companies, and other key industry contacts
- Oversee the successful acquisition and servicing of new clients by the Shanghai consumer team
- Monitor and report new policies, regulations, and trends in the consumer sector
- Plan and deliver short reports and briefings for members of CBBC from the consumer sectors including market insights and practical information on doing business in China
- Manage and coach the consumer team in Shanghai including identifying learning and development needs
- Represent CBBC at events and in the media
Specific requirements for the role are as follows:
- Substantial and recent China business experience related to the consumer sector
- Demonstrable understanding of the concerns of and issues faced by UK businesses when trading with and investing in China
- The ability to deal at senior levels to deliver sound business solutions to widely differing types of company
- Strong business relationships with Chinese and international firms in your field
- Strong analytical and advisory skills
- Strong leadership and team management skills
- Strong communication skills
- Passion for business development and excellent client facing skills
- Self-motivated, with a flexible and entrepreneurial style of working
- Resilience, and commitment to service excellence
- Fluent English essential, Chinese language desirable
Interested candidates are invited to send a letter explaining how your personality and experience meet our requirements together with detailed CV in both English and Chinese, an indication of your current salary and expected salary to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We regret that only short listed candidates will be notified and that applicants who fail to provide a covering letter will not be considered.
The closing date for applications is 30th December, 2018.
Telephone enquiries and personal visits will NOT be accepted.