Location: British School of Beijing, Sanlitun
• To teach pupils assigned to your class within the school and carry out duties as
required by the Senior Leadership Team.
• Ensure that planning, preparation, recording, assessment and reports meet the
expectations of the school.
• Demonstrate thorough curriculum knowledge.
• To actively contribute to wider school development and growth.
• Demonstrate a proactive approach towards professional development.
Learning and teaching:
▪ Ensure effective teaching and management of classes, groups and individuals so that objectives are met, progress and challenge are maintained and the best use is made of teaching time.
▪ Use teaching methods, which will engage stimulate pupils’ intellectual curiosity including the use of effective questioning, clear presentation and effective use of resources.
▪ Set high expectations for pupils’ behaviour, establishing and maintaining a good standard of behaviour management through focused teaching and create positive and productive relationships in accordance with the rules and behaviour policy of the school.
▪ To assess pupil’s achievements and progress in accordance with agreed policies and procedures.
▪ Implement AfL to evaluate how well learning objectives are/have been achieved and adapt future teaching and learning accordingly.
▪ Ensure progress for all learners and lessons that offer interest and challenge.
Planning and preparation:
Identify clear teaching objectives, content, structures and sequences of lessons appropriate
to the educational needs of the pupils.
▪ Set appropriate, yet challenging expectations for pupils’ learning, building on prior
▪ Identify students who may require additional support and know where to get help in order
to give positive and targeted support.
▪ Ensure that planning shows a clear understanding of the year group expectations and leads
to progression within lessons and over sequences of lessons.
▪ Mark and monitor pupils’ class and homework providing constructive oral and written
feedback, providing focus for pupils’ progress to ensure they meet individual and year
Relations with parents and the wider community:
▪ Prepare and present informative reports to parents in a professional manner.
▪ Facilitate parental engagement by ensuring home learning tasks detail how parents can
assist their children.
▪ Prepare presentations for parental groups as required by the key stage.
▪ Act as a role model to the pupils they teach in their personal presentation and conduct.
▪ Can demonstrate a commitment to developing all aspects of school life.
Skills, knowledge and experience:
▪ Detailed knowledge of the relevant aspects of English National Curriculum or EYFS
▪ Evidence of active participation in CPD
▪ Teaching degree or qualification with QTS
▪ Minimum of two years teaching experience with evidence of good, or outstanding teaching
▪ Experience of integrating the use of iPads and other IT devices into learning
▪ Detailed understanding of AfL strategies to assess needs & inform planning
▪ Adapts teaching to respond to the strengths and needs of all pupils
▪ Has high expectations which inspire, motivate and challenge pupils
▪ Proven track record of ensuring good progress and outcomes for pupils
▪ Creativity in teaching a topic-based curriculum in an international setting
▪ Ability to create a positive, challenging learning environment
▪ Feedback as a valued member of the team and the wider organisation
▪ Can offer additional skills that can add to our rich extracurricular programme
▪ High levels of personal integrity
▪ Conscientious and able to focus on completing work to a consistently high standard
▪ Flexible and positive approach to work
▪ Excellent organisational and time-management skills; high attention to detail
▪ Ability to work to tight deadlines and able to prompt others to ensure deadlines are achieved
▪ Adaptable to working in a fast paced ever changing environment
▪ Ability to work under pressure and remain calm
▪ Proactive and willingness to take on multiple tasks
▪ Self-motivated and enthusiastic
▪ Ability to work independently
▪ Must be a team player, willing to help and be flexible
▪ Continually strive for improvement
▪ Role-model the ‘Be Ambitious’ philosophy each day