Established in 1997, the International Bamboo and Rattan Organisation (INBAR) is an intergovernmental development organisation that promotes environmentally sustainable development using bamboo and rattan. It is currently made up of 48 Member States. In addition to its Secretariat Headquarters in China, INBAR has five Regional Offices in Cameroon, Ecuador, Ethiopia, Ghana and India.
INBAR is seeking a Communications and Press Officer to support the Secretariat’s work promoting bamboo and rattan as nature-based sustainable development solutions. The role will be based in Beijing, with opportunities to travel.
- Writing key English-language content for INBAR, including website articles, speeches, press releases, summaries of key events, Annual Highlights, and others (as required).
- Editing INBAR’s institutional magazine Bamboo and Rattan Update, including: identifying and approaching contributors; reviewing articles; managing magazine content, design and production deadlines.
- Managing INBAR’s publications: proactively managing the overall quality and content of INBAR publications and Resources Centre; identifying new publication ideas; producing English-language publications; ensuring the smooth running of publication production according to the INBAR Publications Policy.
- Handling international press relations: identifying good opportunities to publicise INBAR’s work, as well as the contribution of bamboo and rattan to sustainable development; monitoring international news about bamboo, rattan and related sustainable development issues.
- Maintaining the INBAR website in English, and coordinating key changes across all other language versions.
- Proofreading key content.
- Other tasks as requested by the supervisor.
- Five years’ work experience, with a background in sustainable development, climate change or forestry. Previous experience with bamboo or rattan is not required, but candidate must display an aptitude and willingness to learn quickly.
- A native-level English speaker.
- Extensive experience writing and editing publications, reports and articles.
- Attention to detail. Proofreading experience strongly preferred.
- Proactive, problem-solving mindset.
- Preferred: Aptitude in one of INBAR’s other core languages (Chinese, French, Spanish).
- Preferred: experience using WordPress, InDesign.
Please send a cover letter demonstrating relevant experience as described in the above job description with filled Application Form (see the attachment on INBAR’s website) and relevant materials (if any, such as your written, translated, published text/graphics documents) by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 18 March 2022. Please include the following subject in the submission: “Communications and Press Officer”