The Hutong is Greater China’s most sought-after experiential education provider. We inspire growth through the power of experiences in learners of all ages, providing exceptional experiences and impact far beyond the classroom walls.
Our programs guide participants on journeys through community engagement, cultural activities, inquiry- focused projects and physical challenges. We design experiences which take groups beyond simply seeing sights, enabling everyone to connect with their surroundings and each other in memorable and rewarding ways.
The Hutong Education Team is looking to increase our programming capacity in Hong Kong. This position will be focused on program development and providing exceptional customer service for our partner school clients in this market. We are looking for someone with a passion for education, a proactive attitude and a desire to present our exceptional experiential education programs with a heightened level of professionalism. We are looking for a team member with a passion for outdoor education and who is eager to share their perspective and expertise in the outdoors with educational groups of every age, with the utmost care and thoroughness whilst upholding our brand promise of partnership, professionalism, and consistency.
Responsibilities (what you’ll do):
- Lead idea generation and outdoor program design, in concert with the Experiences (product) team, that is customized to each client school’s specifications;
- Research and develop new areas for educational programs in Hong Kong that have strong outdoor, challenge and adventure elements;
- Lead education programs, especially during our busy fall and spring seasons, and facilitate programs as the visible expert in charge of outdoor programming and group dynamics;
- Develop and improve risk assessment documents and implement and maintain their use through regular team trainings;
- Provide in-house training relating to outdoors programming content and its facilitation;
- Assist in managing communications with client schools on matters concerning program execution;
- Coordinate content used in our written programming materials, including facilitation notes and handbook content;
- Conduct research trips and walkthroughs with local partners and staff;
- Negotiate with clients, and understand and meet their needs;
- Coordinate the submission of all relevant follow-up documents, including expenses, program notes, supplies, photo compilations, etc.;
- Collaborate with cross-regional team members (Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, and Hong Kong) on program development projects;
- Manage and support the positive dynamics of a multinational team on the road with student groups;
- Represent and embody the fun, inclusive, and passionate reputation that The Hutong staff are known for.
Requirements (qualifications and experience)
- Strong work experience in related fields, including leading student groups on outdoor experiential learning programmes;
- Demonstrated ability to identify and mitigate risks in an outdoor setting;
- Experience and passion for environmental sustainability and proven track record of presenting this to students;
- Strong verbal communication skills, and confidently able to lead and facilitate outdoor programming and trainings;
- Excellent in written communications; able to write and respond to client requests in a proficient and professional manner;
- Ability to obtain security background checks (SCRC), and recognized qualifications from a national governing body or reputable organizations of your home or host country;
- Punctual, with the ability to set and stick to deadlines and get back to clients in a timely manner;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, Presentations and able to work with or willing to learn InDesign;
- Conceptual skills to understand our principles of program design and apply them to new itinerary and proposal creation;
- Passionate about providing top-notch, exceptional customer service;
- Comfortable with delegating tasks to a team;
- Willing to travel and work long hours during our peak seasons;
- An understanding and/or experience of working with the International Award (Duke of Edinburgh) preferred but not essential;
- Fluency in spoken and written English. Have an interest in Chinese language and culture. Proficiency in spoken Mandarin and/or Cantonese is preferred but not essential;
- Those with legal right to work in Hong Kong will take preference.
Salary, Culture, Equality and Inclusion
The Hutong Education compensates all full-time and part-time staff with industry-competitive wages based on an individual’s relevant work experience. More details regarding compensation will be provided upon application.
The Hutong is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates. We strive to create an exceptional place to work, learn and grow, which includes opportunities to work remotely, together with working from inspiring co-working spaces. We offer flexi-time schedules to best suit your lifestyle and provide annual growth budgets to support you with your personal and professional growth.
These are just a small handful of reasons why we were nominated as a finalist in 2020 for Best Employer and in 2022 the British Company of the Year (SME) at the British Business Awards, as well as winning the Education Supplier Award and the Heads’ Choice Award at the China Schools Awards in 2021 and 2023.
Applications open and accepted from: 1st – 30th November; Hiring decisions completed in December 2023.
To apply for this role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and a brief cover letter introducing yourself, and telling us why you would be great for this role.
To learn more about what we do, please visit education.thehutong.com.