We are seeking a keen and enthusiastic Lecturer in Digital Media Technology to be part of our team in the School of Computing and Digital Technology at Birmingham City University (BCU), working alongside colleagues at the Birmingham Institute of Fashion and Creative Arts (BIFCA) in Wuhan China.
The School of Computing and Digital Technology is a thriving, vibrant, and inspiring learning community committed to excellence in research, high quality teaching and impactful industrial engagement. Building on continuous success in student growth and in sustained advancement of research activities, the school has embarked on a programme of extensive expansion funded by substantial long-term investments. Our growing teams are teaching, exploring and practising in some of the most exciting areas in the field of computing and the processing of digital media.
We are a practice-based school, making our teaching and research relevant to the evolving market for computer skills by partnering with local and global enterprise in areas such as smart cities, medical applications, the media production industry, and IoT applications. We work in a collaborative and cross disciplinary culture, where interacting freely across the school and with colleagues in other schools is encouraged to gain a unique insight into impactful problem domains.
We are seeking applicants who bring skills in Digital Media Technology with a strong applied technical background. We invite applications to join our team delivering innovative degree courses at our partner institution, the Birmingham Institute of Fashion and Creative Art (BIFCA), in Wuhan China, https://www.bcu.ac.uk/international/bifca.
BIFCA is a highly successful collaboration between Wuhan Textile University (WTU) and Birmingham City University, offering a unique cross-cultural experience and providing an excellent environment for innovative teaching.
Students successfully completing their programmes at BIFCA gain a dual award from both BCU and WTU. With a series of innovative, technologically driven and professionally oriented programmes, BIFCA represents the new era of quality-oriented, collaborative transnational education (TNE), responsive to the needs of all stakeholders. Students are able to choose between studying their whole programme in China or studying part in China and completing their programme at BCU.
Our teaching commitment at BIFCA is expanding, and we are seeking a lecturer to contribute to this continuing development. The position offers a unique opportunity to live and work in a popular part of China on a 2-year fixed term contract.
All teaching will be in English
You must be able to show demonstrable experience / expertise in some of the following areas and have a core experience of technical development. You should also have experience of the preparation of teaching material and planning technical course activities.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide an excellent student experience.
- Act in accord with the University’s strategy, policy and procedures.
- Innovate on best practice for learning, teaching, support and assessment methods.
- Supervise student computing projects at undergraduate level.
- Lead in the design and development of high quality, up-to-date computing modules.
- Set and mark assessments and provide constructive feedback and feedforward.
- Work and live overseas in Wuhan China as part of the BIFCA programme.
- Demonstrate reflective practice as a method for improving your performance.
- Participate in and orchestrate outreach activities to aid in recruitment.
- Contribute to high quality research with potential for publication in reputable journals and international conference proceedings.
- Embody the University’s strategy and values, demonstrating behaviours that align to those values.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- PhD or willing to study for a PhD or equivalence accepted based on cognate area of understanding.
- Excellent working knowledge of Digital Media Technology with a strong technical background in software development and with technical expertise in a related area such as DSP, Image Processing, HCI, 3D modelling, AI etc.
- Strong programming skills in a good selection of languages appropriate to the discipline, such as C/C++/C#/JS and Python.
- Applicants should have demonstrated excellent teaching in higher education or have presented regularly to technical audiences in an industry setting.
- Commitment to pursuance of research.
- Excellent team working and communication skills
- Commitment to pursuance of fellowship of the Higher Education Academy.
- Experience working with international students or TNE partners
- A proven record of attracting research funding and partnering across their areas of practice
- Display a thirst for knowledge and academic learning in the context of real-world challenges and a strong desire to see their theoretical work applied in solving impactful problems
The specific requirements for each role are detailed in the relevant job descriptions so applicants are advised to review these carefully before making an application.
If you would like to discuss any aspects of this role, please contact Dr David Gibson (email@example.com).
To apply, please click this link to apply via the official website.