The British Chamber of Commerce in China is a membership organisation for British business focused on boosting UK-China trade and investment. We operate as an independent, not- for-profit organisation with a strong and diverse membership. With over two decades’ worth of business experience in China, we provide intelligence, advice, and networking opportunities for our members, helping their business grow in one of the world’s fastest growing markets. In 2009 we partnered with the China-Britain-Business-Council (CBBC). CBBC has 60 years’ experience of facilitating UK-China commercial links and together we operate a total of 13 offices in China and 10 in UK. This strategic partnership means that members of the Chamber receive reciprocal membership of CBBC, giving them an even stronger network and increased business support. For more information, please visit www.britishchamber.cn .
The British Chamber of Commerce is currently looking to recruit a candidate for the following position, which will be based in Beijing.
Managing Director, British Chamber of Commerce
The role of Managing Director of the British Chamber of Commerce in China (BCCC) will report directly into the Executive Committee and the Chair of the BCCC, whilst also taking into account the interests of the CBBC with whom there is a reciprocal membership agreement, and other partner organisations.
Major Role Responsibilities
- Work with Chair, Officers & Executive Committee to define priorities for Chamber and develop a strategy for their implementation
- Overall responsibility for BCCC’s financial situation; preparing budget, monitoring monthly accounts and ensuring operational success in hitting targets
- Management of Chamber staff team; recruit and retain staff, set clear targets and regularly monitor performance and progress
- Expand membership; grow new member recruitment and reduce turnover (‘churn’), actively target new members and ensure appropriate materials & messaging
- Oversee a diverse events programme that engages members with regular and engaging events including social/networking, content-driven and
- Manage relationship with CBBC; ensuring continuity of joint membership offering and continued close collaboration while balancing an independent identity and role for BCCC
- Play a leading role in relationship building and management with members, especially premium members; play a high-profile external-facing role as the “face” of the Chamber
- Oversee relationship with British Chamber of Commerce Southwest China
- Cultivate media relationships and develop media strategy which serves the Chamber’s overall goals
- Maintain external relationships with stakeholders including British Council, CBI, Department for International Trade, other British Embassy departments, national and local government Chinese government departments and trade promotion bodies including Ministry of Finance & Commerce, Ministry of Civil Affairs, China Council for Promotion of International Trade (CCPIT) etc and regularly attend events to cultivate and sustain these relationships
- Planning and follow-up of monthly Exco meetings & Officers’ meetings (20%)
- Direct communication with members; meetings, solving and directing queries (25%)
- Planning, recruiting for and attending Chamber/CBBC events (20%)
- Internal team management; regular meetings (20%)
- External event & function attendance; stakeholder meetings (15%)
- Deliver on-budget financial performance
- Expand membership
- Grow participation in the Chamber through greater event attendance
- Make the Chamber a vibrant and respected body in the British Community in Beijing
- Degree-level education or above
- Fluency in English is essential and Chinese language skills highly desirable
- High level of integrity and emotional intelligence
- Proactive and problem-solving skills
- Leadership and management skills and experience
- Multi-tasking, prioritisation and time management skills are essential
- Ability and confidence to navigate and negotiate with multiple partners and stakeholders at senior level and experience of working in complex multi-partner environments
Excellent written and verbal communication skills, comfortable presenting and communicating to senior business and government leaders
5-6 years plus relevant in professional/business services, management consulting or/and client facing roles
Interested candidates are invited to send a letter explaining how your personality and experience meet our requirements together with detailed CV in both English and Chinese, an indication of your current salary to the following email address: mdBCCC2017@cbbc.org.cn
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified and that applicants who fail to provide a covering letter will not be considered.
The closing date for applications is 8th November, 2017 and telephone enquiries and personal visits will NOT be accepted.