The British Chamber of Commerce in China is an independent not-for-profit membership organisation dedicated to being a dynamic and influential business body representing and supporting the interests of its members. Based in Beijing, BCCC provides a strong, focused and impactful voice for British-linked businesses operating on the ground in China as we seek to help businesses of all sizes succeed. Our work covers three main areas – advocacy, business support and connectivity – delivered through a range of events, reports, briefings and member services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
We are currently seeking a full-time Membership Manager, reporting to the Managing Director, to join our small, friendly, dynamic and highly effective team based in our office in Beijing’s Central Business District.
As Membership Manager you will have strong customer service and communication skills, established business knowledge, good organisational skills and a focus on attention to detail. You will play the central role in recruiting new members and ensuring that the needs of established members are fully supported, whilst supporting BCCC colleagues on membership matters. You will also be required to visit potential and existing members in order to promote the full services that BCCC has to offer.
The core responsibilities are to support, administrate, maintain and expand BCCC’s membership of British-linked businesses based in China as follows:
- Develop and maintain relationships with existing member businesses and potential new member businesses through day-to-day communications (calls, e-mails, visits etc.) and attending events.
- Develop a good understanding of member needs and engage members appropriately to utilize membership benefits and maximize value from their BCCC membership. This will include attending various events including occassional weekday evenings and occasional weekends.
- Liaise with member businesses on membership payments and renewals.
- Identify and recruit new member businesses – through business networking, background research, and promotion of BCCC at meetings and events. You will be required to visit potential members and host online meetings to promote the full range of services that BCCC has to offer.
- Respond to general queries from member businesses and from external businesses. You will be required to visit members and other business as necessary, and to lead online meetings.
- Administer membership records through our Customer Relationship Management (CRM) database.
- Analyse membership data and present findings and recommendations to BCCC’s management and Executive Committee.
- Recruit and supervise Membership interns.
The Membership Manager is required to support colleagues within the BCCC team (management, policy, events, marketing, finance) on membership matters such as:
- Provide communication links to member businesses.
- Support or co-ordinate partnerships with member businesses on event arrangement and delivery.
- Contribute ideas for events and other initiatives to help meet the needs and interests of members.
- Support the promotion of Chamber events, sponsorship opportunities, etc. to members.
- Collect, collate and share members’ marketing content (promotions, member events, news, thought leadership articles, etc.) with BCCC marketing to be promoted via BCCC marketing channels.
- Support the BCCC Policy team in collection of information from, or arranging interactions with, members.
As part of the small BCCC office team, the Membership Manager will also be required to support or lead general BCCC initiatives and special projects. They are expected to always be on the lookout for partnership opportunities that may benefit BCCC and its members, to develop strategic links that will add value to BCCC members, and to communicate these opportunities to the wider BCCC team.
The ideal candidate will be energetic and highly motivated with a great personality, IT literate, an excellent organiser and communicator, an active listener, and a team player with a proven ability to work independently.
- Bachelor’s degree or above
- At least 3 years’ working experience, including international or cross-cultural experience
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confidence in dealing directly with clients
- Self-motivated with a proactive attitude towards problem solving
- Flexible and open-minded, with the ability to adapt quickly to changes
- Good IT skills (standard office software)
- Fluent written and spoken Mandarin Chinese
- An understanding of British or international business culture
- Business development and/or customer-facing and/or sales experience
- Experience of using Customer Relationship Management (CRM) database systems
- Membership organisation experience
This a full-time position.
This role requires regular local travel within Beijing to attend meetings and meet clients. Occasional travel more widely within China may be required.
Occasional weekday evening and weekend working is required to attend or support BCCC events. Time off in lieu is provided to compensate for this requirement.
- Competitive salary
- 30 days holiday per year, plus national holidays
- Based in a prestigious modern office location in Beijing’s Central Business District, with tea and coffee supplied
- Free gym access
Interested candidates are invited to send an application letter together with their detailed CV, an indication of expected salary, and relevant supporting certificates to email@example.com by 11th September.