- Who we are
Coventry University is one of the UK’s leading Higher Education (HE) institutions. We continue to remain a highly ranked University, according to the Guardian League Table, and we have recently been awarded a five-star overall rating by the QS Stars awards system – confirming the breadth of our Group’s excellence across teaching, research and other key indicators. This performance is underpinned by visionary leadership, strong financial management and our entrepreneurial approach, ensuring that we are developing a university that is fit for the future.
Who you are
As the main contact for the office, you will be a confident communicator in English and enjoy working both independently and within a small team. Ability to speak a second language is desirable. Flexibility to task and approach are key, as is the ability to exercise judgment and prioritise multiple streams of work. Personal resilience is essential as you will assist in the Hub set up and manage changing work priorities.
This is an exciting opportunity to join our new Hub and work for a stimulating, diverse and enthusiastic organisation that is committed to delivering the very best experience for our stakeholders.
- JOB DESCRIPTION
International growth is a key part of our current and future strategy and to support our ambitions, we are looking for an experienced Office Manager to support our team based in our new China Hub. Reporting to and providing an executive support to the Regional Managing Director, you will ensure the smooth running of all aspects of the office. The role is varied and, in close liaison with UK departments, will include financial management, HR administration and co-ordination of events in the region.
The role will ensure the effective initial set up and smooth running of the China Hub office and will work with the wider team to ensure a high level of support is delivered. The role-holder will also provide an executive support role to the Managing Director – China Hub.
This role will be integral to the successful running of the China office and will need to develop strong links with key stakeholders both locally and in the UK to ensure the Hub’s infrastructure is fit for purpose to meet organisational objectives.
2.2 Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Acts as the first point of contact for queries into the office either face to face or via email/telephone. Exercises judgment and independence regarding written or oral requests for information/ consultation, independently handling issues that do not require direct Senior team involvement.
- Supports the general operations of the office during the set-up phase, working collaboratively with both local and UK teams. Responsible for the smooth running of office operations, liaising with both service providers internally and externally to resolve office operational issues.
- Provides a high level of administrative support to the Leadership team of the China Hub and wider team, ensuring effective diary management, travel arrangements and preparation for meetings.
- Develops and implements a range of administrative filing systems to ensure accurate record management. In liaison with UK teams, develops policies and procedures as appropriate for the China Hub.
- Investigates and solves escalated customer queries or complex problems whist ensuring queries are escalated to the relevant services and responded to within set times.
- Develop an appropriate internal communication approach to disseminate central and critical information across the business.
- Administers and contributes to the organisation of events, conferences, seminars, staff away days and formal meetings relating to identified activities (e.g. servicing of Committees and meetings, Minute taking, generating documentation, providing a meet and greet service and arranging hospitality).
- Provides a financial administrative support as appropriate/required within the allocated work area including monitoring of income and expenditure, administration of procurement and billing activities, and budget tracking needed to maintain effective contract and purchasing control, and reporting requirements.
- Prepares documents, presentations, spreadsheets, and graphs, together with non-standard correspondence for internal and external distribution.
- Maintains the condition of the office, ensuring both local and Group Health and safety requirements are met. Organises repairs as appropriate.
- Maintains a high level of confidentiality, tact, and decisiveness while working under the pressure of constantly changing priorities, unanticipated urgent demands, and multiple tasks and projects with competing deadlines.
- Keeps abreast of strategic and global initiatives which impact on own remit, China Hub and across the CU Education Group as a whole.
- Promotes a culture of continuous improvement in all areas of admin support.
AND such other duties as are within the scope and the spirit of the job purpose, the title of the post and its grading.
2.3 Supervision Received
Academic Dean and Associate Pro Vice Chancellor, China Partnerships
2.4 Supervision Given
Administrative Assistant in line with growth of Hub
Staff at all levels throughout the University Group
Educational partners at a national level in the region covered by the China Hub
Relevant local and national organisations, including government agencies
To apply, please send your CV to Vanessa Wang (firstname.lastname@example.org).