China-Britain Business Council (CBBC)/英中贸易协会
The China-Britain Business Council (CBBC) is the UK’s leading independent source of China business information, advice, consultancy & services for UK industry. For more information about us, please visit our website at http://www.cbbc.org.
In conjunction with our member organisations, Derby City Council & Derbyshire County Council, CBBC is currently looking to recruit a candidate for the following position, which will be based in Hefei but supported by the CBBC Office in Nanjing.
D2 China Project Director (Derby & Derbyshire)
This is a senior role to:
- Support the development & implementation of a China Strategy that facilitates the delivery of economic & other partnership opportunities for UK companies & partner organisations in China
- Deliver agreed financial & performance targets & ensures international relationships are strengthened & maintained
- Provide strategic advice & technical & cultural support on international relationships with China
- Provide a comprehensive in-country planning & support role for all visiting delegations & act as key point of liaison for delegations visiting the UK from China.
- Support the development & delivery of a D2 China Strategy with the aim of building & maintaining stronger economic & civic relationships with China, to generate trade, secure investment & build partnerships.
- Provide advice & guidance to Derby City & Derbyshire County Councils & their partners to:
- identify & raise awareness of economic, cultural, educational, sporting & other civic opportunities with China
- liaise with Chinese Government officials, companies & organisations
- arrange meetings, secure government support, dealing with business & institutions directly
- Advise on the use of language & cultural etiquette that will improve the chances of success in building & maintaining these relationships.
- Liaise with & develop excellent working relationships with the UK’s Foreign & Commonwealth Office, Department for International Trade, China Britain Business Council, East Midlands Chamber & Marketing Derby.
- Lead the in-country planning & delivery of all aspects of delegations from Derby & Derbyshire to China.
- On behalf of Derby & Derbyshire, support the planning & delivery of Chinese delegations to the UK.
- Identify & develop links & relationships between schools, colleges, universities, sporting clubs, tourism organisations & companies in the UK & China.
- Generate & report market intelligence of relevance to Derby & Derbyshire & in support of the D2 China Strategy.
- Generate & facilitate events & information exchanges for a network of individuals, organisations, companies & Government officials in China with an interest in supporting & extending relationships with Derby & Derbyshire.
- Promote the benefits of the relationships between Derby & Derbyshire & Hefei & Anhui in China using appropriate media channels.
- Management of projects & programmes in China as required within the D2 China Strategy.
- Management & reporting on the D2 China budget.
- Monitor & report on the outcomes & impact of the D2 China Strategy.
- Ensure that all systems & files containing client / market information are kept confidential, secure & up to date at all times, ensuring all data in relation to projects & clients is relevant & accurate.
- Prepare relevant Health & Safety documentation including risk assessments in support of international travel.
- Understand and, wherever possible, comply with the policies of the City & County Council as follows:
- Financial rules & regulations
- IT & associated systems, including data protection
- Environmental matters
- Health & Safety matters
- Equality & Diversity matters.
- Take part in the City Council’s Managing Individual Performance Scheme.
- Work flexibly & undertake any other duties, as required, commensurate with this role.
Skills, Qualifications & Personal Qualities:
- Skills & Experience
- Good understanding of economic & industrial policies & practices in China at national & provincial levels
- Some personal / professional / business / governmental networks in Hefei & Anhui and, ideally, a good knowledge of Derby / Derbyshire
- Ideally, some experience of developing & managing partnership arrangements to deliver projects at both strategic & operational levels
- Some experience of supporting businesses to grow, especially to assist their development of trade links
- Experience of devising strategies & action plans
- Some experience of working with overseas organisations (especially in the UK) & awareness of cultural & practical challenges this poses
- Proven track record of successfully delivering projects & targets, exercising budgetary & performance controls & achieving results whilst considering & meeting the needs of all stakeholders.
- Experience of organising large events for multiple stakeholders, ideally international for business delegations
- Experience of producing reports or documentation to tight timescales & presenting information in a variety of formats & to different audiences
- Good level of spoken & written English
- Thorough familiarity with Microsoft Office software.
- Educated to degree level or substantial equivalent knowledge & experience of international partnership work (ideally between China & the UK)
- Management qualification or evidence of further learning/professional development (desirable)
- Project management qualification (desirable).
- Personal qualities
- Entrepreneurial & innovative approach with a focus on delivery & able to think laterally & with vision
- Excellent ability to communicate & comprehensive experience of networking, negotiating & influencing at many different levels
- Assertiveness & proactive approach to ensure objectives are met balanced against cultural awareness, diplomacy & tact to maintain & strengthen relationships
- Ability & willingness to learn new skills & to challenge others & self to innovate in developing new projects & partnerships
- Confident & professional attitude; highly organised & systematic approach
- Personal commitment to the values of integrity, fairness & trust
- Curious to constantly find out more & ambitious to exceed targets
- Flexible & agile to work demands
- Willingness & ability to travel.
The job holders will report administratively to CBBC’s office managers in [Nanjing], & functionally will report to & be supported by Alan Smith & Frank Horsley in the UK.
Interested candidates are invited to send a written application letter together with their detailed CV, an indication of expected salary, & relevant supporting certificates to the following address firstname.lastname@example.org by 26th April, 2018.
- Telephone enquiries & personal visits will NOT be accepted.