This is an exciting time to join the Department for International Trade (DIT) as Seafood Industry Senior Trade Adviser for DIT China and Hong Kong . Our aim is to promote UK trade and investment across the world which is vital for the prosperity of the UK. DIT brings together policy, promotion and financial expertise to break down barriers to trade and investment in markets across the world to help businesses succeed. This is a great opportunity to be part of an international team that contributes to the success of the UK’s trade goals.
DIT operates in 108 countries. Establishing new relationships around the globe, DIT promotes UK trade to ensure the UK takes advantage of the huge opportunities open to us, securing and improving economic well-being, stability, and helping to create tens of thousands of jobs. DIT has one of the largest representations of the 18 government departments working in China, which are coordinated and led by Her Majesty’s Ambassador who is responsible for the UK’s relationship with China. Her Majesty’s Trade Commissioner (HMTC) is responsible for Trade and Investment work in China, one of nine global regions and the largest DIT overseas network in the world. With c.190 staff across six posts – Beijing, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chongqing and Wuhan – DIT, as part of the UK government network in China offers a fast-paced place to work at the heart of UK-China Government relations.
About the role
The role is based in the Agriculture, Food and Drink team of DIT China with a cross reference to the Exports and UK Trade Directorate in the Department for International Trade (UK). One of DIT’s key responsibilities is to help UK businesses export. The Agri, Food & Drink team supports UK companies looking to export and works with a wide range of stakeholders ranging from government (i.e. Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs – Defra) to trade bodies and associations.
The role is to support the implementation of a new Defra-DIT project to support the UK seafood sector to boost exports to new and existing markets. As the at-post specialist based in China, you will be responsible for developing and delivering a China strategy for UK seafood exports, including managing and deploying a seafood budget, and taking advantage of opportunities to plug into existing events held by the agri, food and drink team; liaising with Chinese seafood companies and trade associations, raise awareness of UK trade and investment opportunities; identify opportunities for UK seafood to export to China; work with the UK specialist to upskill businesses to sell their produce into China and educate buyers on the unique selling points of UK seafood. The role will be line managed by the Head of Agri, food and drink trade in Shanghai, and will report into DIT and Defra UK.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Act as the main point of contact for UK businesses wanting to export seafood to China.
- Shape and oversee the delivery of a China seafood strategy including leading on the delivery of key events in market such as meet the buyer activity and exhibitions, with the support of the UK specialist.
Building relationships with industry
- Developing strong relationships with Chinese seafood companies and buyers, identifying opportunities for trade and educating and encouraging them to purchase UK seafood.
- Work closely with our internal teams, such as DITs Data Team, on research and identifying opportunities.
Helping UK companies to connect and harness opportunities
- Working with the China Market access team, providing support on seafood import regulations and logistics.
- Develop a relationship with the 90+ UK seafood companies registered to export to China, and with the support of the UK specialist identify opportunities to expand their exports.
Upskilling post colleagues on the UK seafood offer
- Upskilling existing DIT post to understand the offering and gain confidence in promoting seafood to buyers.
- Build an excellent countrywide network of seafood stakeholders.
- Maintain excellent records of stakeholder interactions using DITs CRM system.
- Play an active role in embedding the ‘DIT Spirit’ by identifying and progressing opportunities to promote the department’s values of being Expert, Engaged, Enterprising and Inclusive.
Job holder must be:
- Team player
- Experienced networker
- Passionate about growing the exports of UK food and drink
- Demonstrable client liaison skills
- Credibility to engage with senior industry clients
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
- There are currently no direct reports. Job holder will manage their own Travel and subsistence within Civil service guidelines.
- Job holder will be responsible for a marketing budget of £150k. Expenditure will be agreed across both line management and DIT/DEFRA matrix management.
- English (spoken and written): excellent/highly proficient
- Mandarin (spoken and written): excellent/highly proficient
- Strong experience of working internationally and/or exporting
- Experience of working in the food and drink sector including with the seafood industry
- Established reputation and network in the food and drink sector
- Ability to travel internationally and regularly around China
- Commercial experience of the seafood sector, and existing relationships with seafood companies and trade associations
- Strategic development of campaigns
- Experience in delivering capability building programmes
All applications must be received before 23:55 on 22 June 22 (China standard time)
For more information and to apply, access the following link.