Economist Impact combines the rigour of a think tank with the creativity of a media brand to engage global decision makers on the critical economic and policy issues facing our world. As part of The Economist Group, our mission is to open debate, broaden perspectives and catalyse progress through evidence-based insight. We are seeking analysts (both entry level and with experience) to work with an internationally-focused and diverse research team based in Beijing.
Our Policy & Insights team works with leading organisations to deliver research and content programmes to drive change on the world’s most pressing issues. Our four core thematic practice areas include: (1) Globalisation, Trade & Finance; (2) Sustainability, Climate Change & Natural Resources; (3) Technology and Society and 4) Public Health.
You will work as part of consulting teams to deliver on client engagements with a strong focus on statistical/predictive modelling and generating data-driven insights. The nature of projects you will work on will be wide ranging. From one week to the next, you could be estimating the impact of climate change on local wildlife, optimising the connectivity of highway networks or evaluating the price sensitivity of burgers. You will draw from a wide range of data and analytical techniques. You must be a fast learner and you will learn a lot.
How you will contribute:
- Collaborate with team members to brainstorm new methodologies to address client questions and business/policy problems
- Analyze large datasets, often with non-traditional data, regularly requiring development of code in Python or other data analysis packages
- Interpret findings and identify ways to improve analysis
- Develop reports for clients, usually in Powerpoint or Word format, combining narrative with data visualization
- Present work in in-person or virtual meetings and through other media such as podcasts and video
Experience, skills and professional attributes
The ideal candidate is either an economics/business graduate with a demonstrated ability to use programming languages such as Python to analyse large datasets, or a technology/engineering graduate with familiarity of business/economics concepts. Ultimately, you must love data and the insights it can generate.
Minimum requirements for successful candidates include:
- Graduate degree in a quantitative discipline such as economics, statistics, mathematics, finance, engineering or computer/data science
- Knowledge of statistical, econometric or machine learning theories and their application
- Fluency in either English or Mandarin, with excellent working knowledge of the other
- Experience coding in Python for data analysis and statistical packages such as R or Stata.
- Ability to communicate complex issues in a clear and concise manner
- Able to work in small teams under tight deadlines
- Entry-level applicants are welcome to apply. For Senior Analyst positions, applicants are expected to possess at least 2 years’ experience in consulting, research or technology firms
Any of the following qualifications would be a plus:
- Experience in visualising complex data and creating storylines
- Knowledge of SQL and/or GIS packages
- Formal training in editing/writing
- For Senior Analyst positions, knowledge or experience in retail/auto/tech industry would be a plus
The Economist Group values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, gender identity, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation, age or marital status.