Package: Competitive gross salary range between RMB 15,000 – RMB 20,000 per month (13-month scale) based on matched qualifications and experiences
Department: International Office
Reporting to: Head of China Operations
About Durham University
Durham University is one of the world’s top universities with strengths across the Arts and Humanities, Business, Sciences and Social Sciences. We are home to some of the most talented scholars and researchers from around the world who are tackling global issues and making a difference to people’s lives. The University sits in a beautiful historic city where it shares ownership of a UNESCO World Heritage Site with Durham Cathedral, the greatest Romanesque building in Western Europe. A collegiate University, Durham recruits outstanding students from across the world and offers an unmatched wider student experience.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and self-driven Senior International Officer to join us in Beijing, working as part of the China team and the larger International Office team in Durham. The post holder will work under the leadership of the Head of China Operations based in Beijing; and will be expected to implement marketing and recruitment activities across China in meeting targets in relation to Durham’s international recruitment strategy and China strategy, develop effective working relationships with a range of stakeholders, and provide operational support to the Head of China Operations.
- Represent Durham at marketing and recruitment activities in-country, including education exhibitions, independent recruitment events, and presentations facing students, schools, partners and members of the public.
- Work closely with teams in International Office, as well as colleagues across Faculties, Colleges, Admissions, CRM, Marketing and Communications and Alumni Office to develop and implement effective recruitment activities through diverse formats.
- Act as a first point of contact for regional recruitment enquiries. Provide a high standard of communication to stakeholders and maintain excellent customer service.
- Develop constructive, effective, and friendly working relationships with a wide range of partners and organisations such as international schools, the British Council, and the China Scholarship Council, etc.
- Assist in managing relationships with Durham’s agent network and articulation partners to achieve recruitment targets.
- Provide high-level market intelligence and identify new business opportunities in alignment with Durham’s strategy in-country, through regular reports to the Head of China Operations.
- Conduct market research to assist in the development of admissions policies, programme development, marketing plans, regional briefings and other market specific papers as instructed by the Head of China Operations.
- Develop regional digital and printed materials to support the implementation of marketing and recruitment plans in-country.
- Contribute to Durham’s China social media, marketing and communication plans, inform of trends within social media and contribute relevant content.
- Provide operational support to the Head of China Operations and support visits to China by relevant members of the Durham University staff.
- Perform such other duties, appropriate to the grade, as directed by the Head of China Operations and/or management team in the International Office, to support Durham’s wider strategic focus in-country.
- Essential: degree level education in an English-speaking country
- Desirable: degree level education at an UK university
Experiences & Skills
- Excellent written and spoken skills in both English and Chinese.
- Demonstrate in-depth understanding of the UK and China higher education sector and global student mobility.
- At least three years of relevant work experience, preferably in the higher education sector, or in an education marketing or student recruitment role with experience in market development and relationship management.
- Knowledge of digital marketing with confident use of IT skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Team player with strong work ethic and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to work to tight deadlines and to work flexibly including travelling extensively in China and working during unsociable hours when required.
- Thorough and organised approach, with high levels of attention to details.
High-level statistical analysis skills. Experience in Chinese student recruitment for UK universities. Experience in digital marketing such as social media, customer relationship management and campaign marketing.
How to Apply
This post will be based at our partner China Britain Business Council (CBBC)’s office in Beijing. We offer competitive packages which include basic gross salary, social insurance, medical insurance, housing fund and generous leave entitlement. The gross annual package for this position is RMB 195k – RMB 260k based on matched qualifications and experiences. We also provide an annual pro rata leave entitlement of 22-days.
Interested candidates are invited to send a one-page cover letter explaining how your personality and experience meet our requirements and an indication of your current salary and expected salary together with a detailed CV to the following email address: CBBCLPHR@cbbc.org. Please use “Durham University – Candidate Name” as the subject of the email.
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified and that applicants who fail to provide a cover letter and use the wrong subject of the email will not be considered.
The closing date for applications is 18th October 2022. Shortlisted applicants are likely to be invited for interviews in Beijing in the week of 31st October.
Telephone enquiries and personal visits will NOT be accepted.