The University of Exeter
We are a member of the prestigious Russell Group of research-intensive universities and in the top 150 universities in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2019). With over 22,000 students and 5,500 staff from 180 different countries we offer a diverse and engaging environment in which to work. We are an equal opportunity employer, a Disability Confident employer and an Athena Swan accredited institution. Since 2019, the university has also signed an Armed Forces Covenant, demonstrating the University’s commitment to supporting the Armed Forces community. Whilst all applicants will be judged on merit alone, we particularly welcome applications from groups currently underrepresented in the workforce.
For further information on the University of Exeter, please visit www.exeter.ac.uk
Senior Project Manager – Shanghai
- To act as a key member of the front-line recruitment team representing University of Exeter in East and Central China to help deliver the University’s ambitious international student recruitment targets.
- To raise the institutional profile and its portfolio of disciplines amongst key recruitment stakeholders in the region.
- To work proactively with the Regional Manager: East Asia to develop and expand the university’s recruitment operations and channels in targeted cities across the region including the planning, implementation, management and evaluation of delegated recruitment activities and marketing strategies to ensure maximum return on investment.
- To be an effective member of the University’s student recruitment team, supporting colleagues in the development of strategic responses to the University’s internationalisation objectives and the acquisition of relevant market intelligence
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- To work with line manager and East Asia team to deliver the University of Exeter’s strategic objectives in respect of the expansion of international student numbers and enhanced diversity by level and subject of study from China.
- To research market recruitment opportunities for University of Exeter in China and work with line manager to initiate, develop, manage and evaluate recruitment strategies to maximise enrolments from the same.
- To represent University of Exeter in targeted cities across China as required visiting agents, International Schools and other recruitment partners and attending education fairs and exhibitions from partner organisations. Also to make presentations as appropriate in schools/colleges and universities and to ensure that prompt follow-up action is initiated after such visits, including the submission of post visit reports.
- To work with line manager to deepen relationships and manage marketing activities with assigned accounts of recruitment partners to ensure Exeter is the first-choice destination for high quality students and to maintain individual contact records and databases in line with current University policy.
- To handle student enquiries from various recruitment channels including Chinese social medias by working alongside University colleagues with a view to informing and delivering an ‘end to end’ recruitment, marketing and admissions service.
- To work with line manager to initiate, plan and organise local recruitment/conversion focused events in targeted cities including agent workshops/conferences, offer-holder, pre-departure events to raise Exeter’s brand and profile at the same time.
- To organise and support planned recruitment activities of University representatives and/or consortium arrangements in China and to monitor their effectiveness. This will involve to provide critical intelligence of terminating unproductive relationships and researching and recommending suitable new relationships as necessary.
- To support in-country recruitment visits from university staff to China including to recommend and devise targeted and efficient visit itineraries to best meet the visit objectives whilst being sensitive to the needs of a variety of visitors.
- To engage with INTO University Partnerships’ regional staff to help deliver appropriate joint marketing initiatives and, as time permits, to support local representatives understanding of the INTO Exeter pathways and progression opportunities and outcomes.
- To proactively keep colleagues and relevant internal stakeholders informed in respect of market information to facilitate policy and recruitment decisions for example evidenced feedback on competitor activity in respect of entry requirements, programme portfolio or appropriate articulation opportunities.
- Regularly evaluate the outcomes of recruitment activities in China together with line manager.
- To manage an allocated marketing budget for the region in accordance with University guidelines, ensuring that expenditure is in line with University guidelines and maximises return on investment and to contribute to development of annual budget proposal.
- This job description summarises the main duties and accountabilities of the post and is not comprehensive: the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties of similar level and responsibility as may be required. As the needs of the institution change so the market responsibilities, duties and location of the role may also be subject to change.
The job holder should have or be able to demonstrate the following:
- A proven track record of outstanding achievement in international recruitment and in developing and implementing successful recruitment strategies.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in higher education and international marketing/recruitment environment
- Proven team working skills and an ability to take on a variety of team roles as required.
- Ability to work effectively and independently with colleagues at a distance
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills appropriate to cross cultural, multi lingual working at all levels (from prospective students to senior academics) including the ability to deliver concise, targeted presentations and written briefings
- An excellent knowledge of international student market in China
- A good understanding of the post high school Education systems, in both China and UK.
- Knowledge of Chinese customers’ needs, associated support strategies and a strong commitment to continuous service improvement
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Mandarin
- A good (honours) degree or equivalent
- Imaginative, proactive and entrepreneurial approach to marketing and recruitment
- Commercial acumen and excellent organisation skills in achieving agreed targets
- Complex analysis, research, planning and project management skills with the ability to establish priorities and monitor performance against objectives
- Ability to work autonomously and under pressure to tight deadlines
- Computer literacy, including familiarity with Microsoft Office, and statistical analysis
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout China and to the UK (subject to obtaining appropriate visa) at short notice and without restriction
- Some experience of working for overseas organization or studying in UK
- Familiarity with Chinese digital marketing practices and platforms
The job holder will report administratively to INTO’s office managers in Shanghai, and functionally will report to and be supported by International Student Recruitment, the University of Exeter.
Day-to-day line management will be given from Regional Manager: East Asia, with overall guidance from the Head of International Student Recruitment
The post requires the ability to travel within China regularly and possibly at short notice without restriction, as well as frequent weekend work and for extended hours during peak periods. Typically travel may account for 16 – 20 weeks per year, usually with visits not exceeding two weeks in duration. In addition it is anticipated that the post holder will make one visit to the UK per annum. However these remain guidelines, and subject to change.
References and Medical Clearance
All appointments are subject to satisfactory reference and medical checks and individuals may be required to complete a medical assessment form before appointment is confirmed. Applicants should note that the University normally contacts referees for short-listed applicants without further advice to applicants. When advising referees please ensure you supply email addresses, enabling us to contact them.
Interested candidates are invited to send written cover letters together with their detailed CV, an indication of expected salary, and relevant supporting certificates to the following address email@example.com by 14 March 2021.
Interview date: TBC w/c 22 March 2021
Interview location: virtual platform
We regret that only short listed candidates will be notified and that applicants who fail to provide a covering letter will not be considered.
• Telephone enquiries and personal visits will NOT be accepted