Birmingham Institute of Fashion and Creative Art (BIFCA) based in Wuhan, China, is a sector leading collaboration between Wuhan Textile University and Birmingham City University. It is one of only a handful of such partnerships. BIFCA offers a unique cross-cultural experience and provides an excellent environment for innovative teaching.
Students successfully completing their programmes at BIFCA are able to gain a dual award from both BCU and WTU, they can choose between studying their whole programme in China or studying part in China and completing their programme at BCU, starting in year two.
For more information: https://www.bcu.ac.uk/international/bifca/our-partnership
The role of the English Department has two main objectives. To support students with an English for Academic Purposes (EAP) curriculum, which enable students to flourish within a British academic setting with the aim of providing all necessary skills and knowledge to achieve academic excellence. We also provide an IELTS style curriculum with the intention of improving the overall English level of our students, and helping those students that wish to study abroad, to join the 2+2 programme.
Your wider role will primarily be to provide English language support for students during their university studies in either Landscape Architecture, Digital Media Technology and Visual Communication.
Teaching IELTS/EAP English language courses to support BIFCA undergraduate students.
- Designing appropriate course materials.
- Undertaking relevant administrative tasks (attendance, tutorials, general office hours).
- Preparing, conducting, and reporting the results of, a range of assessments.
- Assisting in curriculum development, project work and academic research.
- Examiner responsibilities for the IELTS style (BCU EPT) test.
- Individual management of modules and small teams within the department.
Qualifications / Experience:
- A university degree (preferably language or design-based).
- A recognised English Language Teaching Qualification (E.g.: Cambridge CELTA / Trinity).
- The right candidate should have relevant teaching experience.
- Experience of IELTS materials and testing procedures.
- Experience of English for Academic Purposes (EAP) and/or English for Specific Purposes (ESP) courses at tertiary level.
- Experience in teaching pre-sessional courses.
The Birmingham Institute of Fashion and Creative Art (BIFCA) is a jointly run higher education institute based in China and is one of only a handful of such partnerships to be given approval by the Chinese government.
BIFCA is a collaborative effort between Birmingham City University and Wuhan Textile University, combining the expertise of both institutions to provide a number of creative arts courses at the fantastic campus in Wuhan, China. BIFCA provides all of our talented and ambitious students with access to the state-of-the-art facilities, including the latest 3D design and media production equipment, contained in a completely refurbished 10,000m² building.
As well as developing creative skills and experience, courses at BIFCA will be taught primarily in English, vastly improving student language skills and once more assisting with international career opportunities.
To find out more, click here.