This page details information sourced from UK & China government, news outlets, schools and businesses. It includes the latest updates about the novel coronavirus outbreak, useful information for UK nationals in China, as well as advice how to manage your business during this time and relevant analysis on the short and long-term effects of the outbreak on business in China.
Chamber coronavirus news
The British Chamber of Commerce official statement can be found here.
- Impact of novel coronavirus pneumonia [Download Report here]
- Impact of Covid-19: A second survey assessing the evolving impact of Covid-19 on British Business across China [Download Report here]
- Policy Insights: Novel coronavirus hit industries hard, but economy will recover [link]
BritCham will be hosting webinars and posting analysis during this time on the economic impact of coronavirus and what it means for British business in China. Please subscribe to our newsletter for all of the latest information.
31st March, 2020 (Source: Caixin Global)
- The virus has claimed over 3,300 lives and infected more than 82,000 people in China.
- The World Health Organization has declared the outbreak a pandemic, as over 200 countries and regions outside China have confirmed over 700,000 infections, including more than 160,000 in the U.S. and over 100,000 in Italy.
Latest Policies From Beijing
Beijing government have released a new measure which states that those returning to Beijing will need to quarantine in designated centres as opposed to their own homes. This came into effect on 00:00 (CST) on 16th March, 2020.
Travellers that are exempted from the 14-day quarantine rule.
Tips on how to best protect the workforce when returning to the office.
Directive on who is required to self-quarantine before resuming work.
Summary of the legal responsibilities of all those involved in the city’s COVID-19 control efforts, including enterprises.
- Centering on Stabilizing Foreign Investment, the Ministry of Commerce Improves Services for Foreign Invested Enterprises and Investment Attraction
Details of some of the measures MOFCOM has in place to support foreign invested enterprises in China.
Beijing has extended the collection period for social insurance premiums to the end of July for companies in tourism, catering and other hard-hit industries, among other policies.
- A Letter to Non-Chinese Citizen Visitors in Beijing from the Foreign Affairs Office of the People’s Government of Beijing Municipality
The local government’s initial outreach to the foreign community in Beijing.
UK government information, updates and alerts
- Novel coronavirus (2019-nCov) in China general information and guidance
- Travel advice for China [4 Feb]
- Travel advice for all other countries
- British Embassy in Beijing Website
- Q&A for British nationals in China
- Since 31 January, some staff and dependants from the British Embassy and Consulates are being withdrawn from China. Essential staff needed to continue critical work – including consular assistance – will remain.
- UKVI will be closed for UK visa applications until at least February 17th except for extraordinary cases related to evacuation from China.
- UK Consular Number: +86 (0)10 8529 6600 or +44 (0) 207 008 1500
China government information, updates and alerts
- China’s National Health Commission homepage (EN) and (CN)
- Chinese New Year holiday extended nationwide through Feb 2
- Shanghai government directs companies to stay closed until Feb 9, with Beijing advising people to work from home for the same period
- National Immigration Administration (NIA) website (CN)
- Q&A on current situation (EN/CN)
- Public prevention advice (EN/CN)
- General Administration of Customs notice on tax exemption for goods imported for disease control
- A Letter to Non-Chinese Citizen Visitors in Beijing from the Foreign Affairs Office
Schools opening times
- Ministry of Education directive on delayed school opening times (Chinese)
- Schools in Beijing set to open on an as-yet-unspecified date, at some point after February 17.
- Dulwich College Beijing: closed until further notice. Online learning started Feb 3rd.
- Harrow Schools China: closed until further notice.
- BSB Shunyi & Sanlitun: closed until further notice. Online learning started Feb 3rd.
- BritCham China Policy Insights: Novel coronavirus hit economy hard, but industries will recover [7th Feb]
- EIU: Coronavirus economic & business implications webinar [3rd Feb]
- EIU: Coronavirus: four scenarios for China’s economy [3rd Feb]
- Guardian: How coronavirus is affecting the global economy [5th Feb]
- BBC: Coronavirus: The economic cost is rising in China and beyond [6th Feb]
- FT: Global shares rally after China pledges tariff cuts on US goods
British Chamber members' efforts to support coronavirus
- Rio Tinto donated A$1m ($0.6m) to the Chinese Red Cross Foundation [link]
- Diageo: RMB 10m to Wuhan Charity Federation [link]
- GSK: Collaboration with CEPI on vaccine development [link]
- AstraZeneca donated medicine of over RMB 5.5million to Wuhan [link]
- UK Govt: £20m to support vaccine development [link]
- Oxford Immunotec announces donation in support of coronavirus testing efforts to help differentiate tuberculosis from the new China virus [link]
Click here for more updates