The European Chamber has an opening for the position of General Manager, Shanghai.
This is an exciting and challenging position with incredible visibility, access, and ability to influence and improve the business environment for European companies in Shanghai and beyond. The successful individual will be involved in all areas of the organisation including general management, government affairs, communications, membership and special projects. The Shanghai Chapter is the European Chamber’s largest chapter in terms of members. There are 16 staff members and a local board composed of senior business executives. The office is located in Xintiandi.
The General Manager of Shanghai Chapter reports to the Secretary General with respect to Shanghai Chapter issues and European Chamber matters generally as specified below.
He/she plays a key role in the organisation and will touch virtually all areas of the organisation. The successful candidate must be a pro-active, well organised, passionate and an accountable leader that knows how to develop, empower, and inspire people, to build trust, and to deliver high quality, content driven results in a fast paced, multicultural environment, with many stakeholders.
All six of the areas outlined below are critically important for the Shanghai Chapter. The priority and focus of these areas may vary based on the candidate’s aptitude and experiences but she/he must either have or be able to develop the necessary skillset for all areas.
General Management & Leadership
- To play the leading managing role in the Shanghai Chapter (16+ people) to meet and significantly contribute to the agreed targets within five of the Shanghai Chapter’s key departments (Government Affairs and Communications; Membership and Sponsorship; Events; Cooperation Projects, and Operations).
- To ensure the financial stability and growth of the Shanghai Chapter
- To communicate and cooperate with other Chapter General Managers, national leads for Government Affairs, Communications, Events and Membership, and participate in the internal management committee of the Chamber (Manco)
- To ensure/coordinate monthly and timely reporting and management of projects as required by Secretary General (annual priorities, monthly Executive Committee (Exco) preparation, annual general meeting, annual budgeting, monthly financial forecasting, high level visits, advocacy and membership activities, externally funded government cooperation projects, event planning and execution,..)
- To manage HR related issues, including appointing and dismissing local staff, assigning duties and supervising staff
- To oversee the operations including contributing to the development and compliance of internal policies
- To foster an environment of excellence through which passion, trust, and accountability result in the highest quality work of the Chamber to the benefit of its members
Government Affairs (GA)/Working Groups
- To provide direction to, to contribute to, and to support the Government Affairs Department and its 25+ working groups
- To be able to speak on government policies and the regulatory environment that impact European business
- To develop and maintain close relations with and understanding of the Chinese Government, the European Commission, the European Union Delegation to China and Mongolia, consulates general, and other industry associations/groups
- To support the GA team in other ways such as position paper writing, drafting, commenting on draft legislation, annual working group elections and related policies
Communications (Publications, Media, and Marketing)
- To provide direction to, to contribute to, and to support the communications and potentially take on or lead a key Chamber project/publication
- To provide value-add contributions into messaging and ensure the quality and consistency of the Chamber’s publications and media releases
- To promote the voice of European business through various communication channels (off-line such as the Chamber’s magazine EURObiz, on-line through our website and social media channels, and through expanding our relations with the Chinese and foreign media)
Membership, Events & Sponsorship
- To provide direction to, to contribute to, and to support the membership, events and sponsorship department
- To help renew existing and attract new members
- To guide/assist in the identification of speakers, topics and general delivery of Chamber’s events
- To help secure advertising & sponsorship sources
- To support, maintain, identify and secure new China Desk partnerships (sales/business development element) with either European based business organisations or European industry in China.
- To ensure the proper management and success of EU Commission projects as well as to participate in business development opportunities for new projects that are in the interest of Chamber members.
- And other duties as requested
Skills & experience
- Experience in a senior management position
- Deep understanding on China’s business and regulatory environment
- Outstanding interpersonal and organisation skills
- Excellent writing and presentational skills
- Experience in working with the Chinese and European Governments
- Good understanding of Chinese and European institutions
- Good understanding and appreciation of the nature of non-profit, membership based organisations
- University degree in economics, law, business, or politics or related work experience (Masters Degree preferred)
- Knowledge of profit and loss, balance sheet and cash flow management, and general finance and budgeting
- Ability to build consensus and relationships among internal and external stakeholders
- Understanding of human resources and personnel management
- Proven negotiation skills
- Ability to understand new issues quickly and make wise decisions
- Ability to inspire confidence and create trust
- Ability to work under pressure, plan personal workload effectively, and delegate
How to apply
- Applicants can send CV, cover letter and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also indicate where you saw this posting or how you learnt about this position.
- Please put “General Manager 2022, Shanghai” in the subject line for us to receive you application. The deadline for application is 13th September, 2022.
- Only the short-listed candidates will be contacted.