- Job Description
The Senior Technician – Service Centre will work as part of the team that provides first line support, both physical and virtual, to all IT users within the Group. This role will provide first class customer service when engaging with users of Digital Services as this role will be responsible for being the first point of contact for IT queries and for managing the resolution and escalation of these queries. This role will contribute to effective ICT support for learning, teaching and research within the University Group.
1.2 Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To act as the first point of contact/support for Group Staff & Students in the use of services provided by ITS. Managing a variety of tasks/queries taken through phone calls, emails, portal queries (and other mediums such as social media) and logging these calls
- Following agreed procedures, identify, prioritise, register and categorises Diagnosis of incidents according to agreed procedures. Investigates causes of incidents and seek resolution.
- Assists with the implementation of agreed remedies and preventative measures. Initiates and monitors actions to investigate and resolve problems in systems, processes and services to reduce user
- Communicates information security risks and issues to business managers and Performs basic risk assessments for small information systems. Contributes to vulnerability assessments.
- Provides support for malware attacks and other cyber security threats. Looks to resolve where possible or engage level 2 assistance to resolve security risks and typical Records and analyses actions and results.
- Investigates security breaches received from users in accordance with established procedures. Performs non-standard security administration tasks and resolves security administration issues such as Phishing attacks.
- To provide 1st line ‘face to face’ incident support (in line with incident priority).
- To respond to requests for service, help or advice from customers relating to the services used by staff and students, by providing the requested service/help/advice. To post (e.g. social media) and maintain information relating to current service issues
- Carry out routine administrative and maintenance tasks and checks on systems and equipment provided to identify, diagnose and document any
- Seeks to reduce service outages through the diagnosis and resolution (where able) of the cause of any identified service fault. Documents the outcome so that a solution may either be identified by the post holder or escalated in order that a solution may be identified and
- To distribute and install ICT equipment, audio-visual equipment and/or software at various locations about the University in order to ensure the delivery of advertised services and service
- Monitor and control the issue of equipment and materials to authorised students and staff according to Faculty and Schools policies and
- To review & maintain the accuracy of knowledge articles as published and used by the Service Centre, Staff or
- Undertakes workstation assessment, general health and safety supervision of staff and students using equipment and working in laboratories, ensuring safe methods of working in accordance with statutory and University requirements.
- Provide ICT Assistance in order to support the Universities Group’s research and consultancy
- Liaises with suppliers of goods and services on matters related to the repair of equipment.
- Recording of details of the hardware and/or software installed or removed and ensuring that the configuration management records are
- Ensuring successful Incident, Fault and Problem Resolution in accordance with established procedures and service
- To be responsible for testing various releases, in compliance with defined software/hardware/service release procedures, in order to identify and resolve problems before general
AND such other duties as are within the scope and spirit of the job purpose, the title of the post and its grading.
- Service Providers Shared and Outsourced Suppliers and other Vendors
- University Staff and Students of CU group
- External contractors and suppliers
3. Person Specification
|Education/ Qualifications||Educated to degree level or equivalent in ICT or equivalent experience within an IT environment||ITIL Intermediate Qualification in Service Operation|
Relevant Professional Qualifications such as MCTS or ACSP (Apple)
|Experience (Paid and Unpaid)||Experience working in a Service Desk support environment with a variety of computerised systems.|
Experience and knowledge in one of the following (with some exposure to the other):
• Microsoft Windows
• Mac OSx
Knowledge of supporting the following:
• Email (Microsoft Office 365)
• Wired and Wireless networking configuration
• Audio Visual equipment
• Data Security managing reported phishing
• Range of mobile devices including tablets and smartphones.
Use and support of Windows desktop operating system, the Microsoft Office suite and Apple Macintosh operating Systems.
Support of AV equipment
|Experience with SQL Server TSQL or Oracle PL/SQL in the use of stored procedures, triggers, and functions|
Experience of network technology (configuring network connections)
|Experience (Paid and Unpaid)||Experience of using an IT fault logging or call recording system.|
Experience of supporting a virtual learning environment, e.g.
Moodle, Blackboard etc.
Ability to work with colleagues to quickly resolve complex problems in the provision of IT services.
Providing IT support in both hardware and software.
Experience of Management & Installation of wide range of
|Job-related skills/ Aptitudes||Attention to detail and to follow procedures|
Excellent customer service skills
Must be well organised and able to work to deadlines
Able to work well within a team and using own initiative
Good troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
|Knowledge of an academic institutions’ IT services offered, and typical applications used|
Business Impact Awareness
|Interpersonal Skills||Excellent communication skills with the ability to translate technical language to users in both English and Chinese.|
A commitment towards continuous improvement.
Ability to handle situations with conflict in a calm manner.
|Has experience of skills instruction|
|Other Requirements||Able to work flexibly to meet the needs of 24/7 service support.|
A flexible approach to location, including a willingness to travel, locally, nationally or overseas, as required.
An appreciation of other cultures; the global reach of the University group and its international agenda.
How to apply:
Please send your CV and cover letter to Vanessa Wang (firstname.lastname@example.org).